Exercise is not just about achieving a toned and chiseled body. It’s benefits go deeper than this. Along with getting six-packs it helps in calming down our restless minds. This happens because there is a strong link between our mind and body.
Here the ‘mind’ doesn’t refer to the brain rather all the mental states like our thoughts, attitudes, beliefs, and emotions. How we are treating our bodies physically has a deep impact on our minds. In order to gain optimal health one doesn’t need to indulge in time-consuming activities but simply follow a few exercises. This article has outlined the best exercises to relax your mind and body.
Every time we exercise our brain releases Endorphins. This is a hormone that reduces stress, energizes us, and fills us with a happy State of mind. To achieve this state we don’t have to devote hours. Exercising 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week is enough. Studies show that people who follow this regime have got the same health benefits as those going to the gym. If you are new to exercising then it’s better to start slow and increase the time gradually by 5-10 minutes. Doing any physical activity 15 minutes a day reduces the risk of major depression by 26%.
Benefits of Exercise
Exercise adds years to one’s life, makes us more energetic, helps us in sleeping better at night. Since it reduces anxiety it lowers our dependency on pills. It promotes neural growth, lessens inflammation, and gives feelings of calmness. It helps in building a strong resilience to stressful situations and boosts the immune system.
The following are the 5 outdoor activities that benefit the mind and body equally.
- Swimming- It is a head to toe activity. It increases the body’s flexibility. While swimming the water produces resistance and this increases the muscle strength and gives a toner body. It helps in relieving stress. Swimming can be very useful for people suffering from arthritis as it lessens the pain and stiffness in the bones and joints.
- Cycling- It is a form of lower body workout. It works specifically on the calves. It also reduces the chance of cardiovascular diseases. Paddling involves steering and balancing simultaneously, this further enhances coordination. It increases joint mobility and improves body posture. It makes the legs more strong.
- Outdoor Yoga– Doing yoga in the room gives the same benefits as doing it outside if not more. It helps in getting rid of those negative thoughts that we tend to harbor in our minds that make us stressed. Each ‘aasan‘ targets a certain problem in the human body. It lowers blood pressure and improves the immunity system.
- Running- Whenever we run, more blood is pumped into the heart and our breathing quickens resulting in increased oxygen supply in the body. If you are not a big fan of running then try brisk walking. Start slow then increase the pace and the distance. It also works as a natural antidepressant. The Endorphins reduce anxiety and the serotonin affects the mood.
- Hiking– It’s a powerful cardio workout. It strengthens the core. It improves blood pressure and reduces blood sugar levels. Odds of getting a heart disease also become low. It improves mental health and lowers cholesterol levels. Hiking done with friends and family gives a sense of belonging and gives a positive outlook towards life.
If you are unable to find time for exercising then try thinking of ways where small workout routines can be incorporated in your daily life. One should always bear in mind that exercise has numerous benefits on the human body be it physically or mentally. Try to practice these best exercises to relax your mind and body.