The newest buzzword to hit the diet world is KETO DIET PLAN which refers to the high fat, low carb diet that offers many health benefits. It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. This reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. When this happens, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain. Ketogenic diets can cause massive reductions in blood sugar and insulin levels. This, along with the increased ketones, has numerous health benefits. One common distribution is eating 5% of total calories from carbs, 20% from protein, and 75% from fat. This only allows about 20 to 50 grams of carbs per day.
HOW KETO DIET WORKS
When you eat a carbohydrate, which is found in anything from oatmeal to soda to tomatoes, it is broken down into glucose. The main role of glucose is to supply energy for all of our bodily processes. Glucose is the primary fuel for all of the cells in our body. Our brain, central nervous system, and developing red blood cells prefer glucose over any other source. When you are exercising or haven’t eaten in a while, your body will breakdown its store of glycogen for quick energy.
When you cut down on those carbs the body will break down stored protein and fat for energy. When there are no more carbohydrates left to provide energy, the body will start to produce ketones, which can provide energy for most types of cells.
BENEFITS OF KETO DIET PLAN
- Low carb diets reduce your appetite. Hunger tends to be the worst side effect of dieting. It makes you feel miserable and you eventually give up. Eating fewer carbohydrates leads to an automatic reduction in your hunger pangs.
- It speeds up the process of weight loss. Cutting carbs is the most effective way of losing those extra pounds. This is because low-carb diets act to rid excess water from your body, lowering insulin levels, and leading to rapid weight loss.
- Most of the fat is lost from the abdominal area. Visceral fat that is stored in the abdominal area is the most stubborn one. Low-carb diets are very effective at reducing these harmful abdominal fat.
- Triglycerides are the fat molecules that circulate in your bloodstream. Keto diets target those triglyceride levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- One of the best ways to increase the “good cholesterol” in your body is to eat low carbs and high fat.
- It reduces the insulin and blood sugar levels, a problem that hugely affecting people worldwide. Studies prove that cutting carbs lowers both blood sugar and insulin levels drastically.
- Elevated blood pressure, or hypertension, is a significant risk factor for many diseases, including heart disease, stroke, and kidney failure. Low-carb diets are an effective way to lower blood pressure, which should reduce your risk of these diseases and help you live longer.
- Keto diet has therapeutic effects and is successful in treating some serious brain diseases.
- It boosts the metabolic rate. Indians cannot live without grains. Carbohydrates are a staple in their diet whether you go from Kashmir to Kanyakumari or Gujarat to Assam. Because of which the metabolism becomes slow. Thus, giving a break to your body by cutting on the carbs will definitely give a jerk in your weight loss journey.
Keeping in mind such numerous health benefits of a Keto diet plan one can definitely give it a try but under the guidance and consultation of an expert nutritionist.