On searching “Apple Cider Vinegar Weight Loss Diet” Google showed it up among the fastest rising health topics. It has been used since ages as a popular home remedy so why such a spike in interest? Does it really aid in Weight loss? What are the health benefits of apple cider vinegar? Before we dig deeper into examining this we need to know what Apple Cider Vinegar basically is.
What is ACV ? How is it prepared?
Apple Cider Vinegar is basically fermented juice from crushed apples. Apples are taken and exposed to yeast for a considerable amount of time which results in the fermentation of the sugars present in the apple into alcohol. This alcohol is further exposed to bacteria and is further fermented into Acetic Acid. They contain 5-6% of acetic acid which imparts the sour taste and flavor to it.
What does ACV contain?
Contrary to popular belief, Apple Cider Vinegar doesn’t contain any vitamins or minerals. Instead its unrefined form consists of a substance called “Mother” which is a colony of yeast and bacteria thus having probiotic properties. This is responsible for its beneficial properties. It also has certain chemicals called polyphenols that aid in the cessation of cell damage too.
Can ACV really aid in Weight loss?
According to a study conducted on obese rats and mice, using Apple Cider Vinegar contributed to improved metabolism and decreased fat deposition. Another study conducted in 175 humans in the year 2009 by Taylor and Francis Group (later published in the year 2014) showed people who consumed 2 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar every day for three months showed considerable weight loss and low levels of triglyceride in comparison to their counterparts who didn’t use it. A more recent study in a group of 39 study subjects revealed that subjects who followed a restricted-calorie diet with Apple Cider Vinegar lost more weight than their counterparts who didn’t. However, in both the cases the studies were conducted in a very small population. There isn’t enough large scale scientific study to corroborate these claims though there might be some personal experiments conducted to confirm this finding and that might largely be attributed to its ability to suppress our appetite and control blood sugar levels.
Well, all isn’t grim when it comes to this ingredient. It has indeed some health benefits too.
Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is known to clear out our skin with considerable use overtime. This is mainly because of its natural ability to balance our pH.
It balances our Digestive System
Consuming Apple Cider Vinegar with water before a meal aids in digestion by activating the digestive juices. It also combats bloating and gas.
Remedy For Dandruff
The acidity of Apple Cider Vinegar changes the pH of our scalp making growth of yeast harder.
Lowering Blood sugar levels
Taking 2 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar can help lower the blood sugar level by 4%. Studies show that it can increase insulin sensitivity in our body and also decrease blood sugar response during meals.
Remove the smell of Cat Urine
OK maybe this isn’t something related to our bodies but hey we know these accidents happen when we are with our furry balls. We need them but we need to keep ourselves clean too and let’s be honest how much we might love them nothing on Earth could make us love their urine smell too. So next time your cat has an accident on your bed or over your clothing grab a bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar and you are ready to go. Simply add Apple Cider Vinegar and rinse the area with a brush and water and then wash it thoroughly with a detergent.
How much Apple Cider Vinegar should You Drink in a day?
- If your aim is to balance out your blood sugar level then you should consume 4 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar either prior to your meal or post your meal.
- If you are planning to have Apple Cider Vinegar capsules then having 1 capsule every day is recommended.
When to drink Apple Cider Vinegar?
- If you drink it first thing in the morning then it will make you feel energized. If you add a bit of lemon to it this will also help you to flush out toxins from your body. If sea salt is added to your daily Apple Cider Vinegar intake in the morning it will balance your body electrolytes.
- If you are fasting then you can have Apple Cider Vinegar because it will satiate you and will make you feel full thus keeping your hunger pangs at bay. It will also balance your blood sugar levels.
- If you take Apple Cider Vinegar before meals then it decreases the blood sugar level and makes your body sensitive to insulin. It will also aid in your digestive process.
- If you consume Apple Cider Vinegar before bed it creates balance throughout your body. You can also sleep better and there will be no acid build up in your stomach. Even the next morning your blood sugar level will be less.
Everything isn’t hunky-dory about it too. Let’s see some of its major side effects which will help you to make better judgments about it.
Side Effects of Consuming Too Much Apple Cider Vinegar
Low Potassium Levels and Bone Loss
Though there hasn’t been any recent study regarding the ill-effects of Apple Cider Vinegar on blood potassium levels and bone health, a case was reported of low blood potassium and bone loss owing to consumption of large doses of Apple Cider Vinegar. The 28-year old woman in question reportedly consumed 250 ml of Apple Cider Vinegar daily for the last six years. She was later admitted to the hospital with abysmally low potassium levels and other anomalies in her blood contents. She was also diagnosed with osteoporosis – a condition rarely seen at her age. The Doctors treating her were of the opinion that essential minerals were leached out of her bone to buffer the acidity of her blood which occurred as a result of over consumption of Apple Cider Vinegar.
Erosion of Tooth enamel
The Acetic Acid present in the vinegar can damage tooth enamel. In a study conducted recently when the enamel was immersed in the vinegar of varying degrees, it was found to lose 1-20% of its enamel within a span of four hours. A case study was also conducted on a 15-year old girl suffering from severe tooth decay. It was found out to be a case of over consumption of an ingredient- 237 ml of undiluted apple cider vinegar every day.
Harmful Drug interaction
- If a person takes insulin or insulin enhancing medications then he or she should avoid having this as it will lead to dangerously low levels of Potassium and Sugar.
- People taking medications to decrease their blood potassium level should avoid taking this as it would further lower down their potassium levels.
- Certain diuretic drugs cause excretion of potassium by our bodies. Any person consuming such drugs should avoid it as they might take down their potassium levels to drastically low levels.
There are a host of health benefits of apple cider vinegar. However, it is important to follow certain necessary precautions before consuming this to prevent causing ourselves any unnecessary harm.