Constipation is a condition in which you experience less than three stools or bowel movements per week. The length of time between bowel movements varies for every individual. Almost everyone goes through this condition at some point in their lives. In chronic constipation, one experiences infrequent bowel movements for several weeks or longer. Treatment of it depends on the reasons of constipation or hard stool, which varies from person to person. If it is not chronic, it is not usually serious.
Reasons for Hard Stool
The following are some of the common causes and reasons of constipation:
1) People who consume foods which lack in fiber is a common cause of constipation. Foods rich in fiber are dairy products that help in encouraging regular bowel movements.
2) Dehydration is the most common cause of it. People don’t intake the amount of water required in our body, which leads to infrequent bowel movements.
3) When you regularly change the time of your regular meals, the body takes time to adjust and it causes constipation because the routine of the food intake is disturbed.
4) People who neither do exercise nor perform some physical activity, they experience more of constipation than the people who do.
5) Some of the medications can cause the side effect of constipation, such as opioids, anti-depressants, anti-convulsants, etc.
6) Medical conditions also cause constipation like irritable bowel syndrome, eating disorders, colon cancer, hypothyroidism, and many more; and some neurological conditions like Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, etc.
Constipation In Babies
The following are some of the common causes and reasons of constipation in babies:
1) Infants with the age of less than 1 year commonly face constipation. There are some common and some different reasons of constipation in different age groups, like reasons for constipation in infants are that they face issues in toilet training, sometimes can experience an allergy from cow’s milk, etc. And their abdominal muscles are weak so they face problems in passing stools.
2) Reasons for constipation in babies are that sometimes children withhold or ignore the urge to have a bowel movement, which can be because they are afraid of going to public washrooms.
3) Change in their diet and also if their diet lacks fiber can cause constipation. The babies can also experience constipation if there is a family history.
Reasons of constipation in adults are stress, resisting the urge to poop, overuse of laxatives, dehydration, voluntarily withholding the stool, etc.
Reasons of constipation in pregnancy is stress, anxiety, low-fiber diet, fewer intakes of water, physical inactivity, hormones, etc. In which the women experience abdominal pain or discomfort.
Natural Remedies for Constipation
- There are some home remedies for constipation such as drinking an adequate amount of water, as more water leads to soft stools.
- Fiber-rich foods are cottage cheese, wheat, barley, vegetables, whole grains, fruits, etc. Consumption of fiber will help in maintaining the consistency of bowel movements.
- Exercise, yoga, or any other physical activity may help in reducing symptoms of constipation. If you can’t work out daily, only gentle walking can be of great help.
- Consuming caffeine helps in increasing the urge to go to the bathroom, as it stimulates the muscles in our digestive system. If you experience bowel movements, do not try withholding or avoiding it.
- Intake of probiotic foods or supplements can help in relieving chronic constipation. Probiotic foods help in improving the balance of our digestion. Probiotic supplements produce lactic acid which helps in improving gut movements lead to easy passing of stool.
Many people face constipation because of unhealthy food intake and low motivation to workout. There are natural remedies for constipation that can help in relieving or treating constipation. If these remedies don’t help you should consider seeking professional help, or it could be dangerous.